Alexey Shchusev and the Tretyakov Gallery
The name of the architect Alexey Shchusev (1873–1949) is closely linked with the State Tretyakov Gallery. In 1926–1928, he held the post of its director and from 1929 to 1930 was its chief architect. In 1933–1936, Shchusev designed a new building of the Gallery oriented toward Lavrushinsky Lane and in 1943–1944 he developed the concept of expanding the museum complex, which became the foundation for its future modernization in the 1980s. However, this aspect of the career of this outstanding Russian architect remains understudied. The authors of the article fill the existing gap and at the same time encourage the growing interest in this theme in view of the construction of the Tretyakov Gallery new building on Kadashevskaya Embankment. The publication includes drawings of Shchusev’s designs for the Gallery’s buildings on Volkhonka Street and Lavrushinsky Lane.
Key words: A.V. Shchusev, director of the Tretyakov Gallery, expansion of the museum complex, designs for the Gallery’s buildings on Volkhonka Street and Lavrushinsky Lane.